Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Going forth to all the nations

“I can do all things through Him who gives me strength” - Phil 4:13

As expected, my summer was packed with medical missions all over the country. I had a different destination every week and Central Luzon areas seemed like next-door neighborhood to me. The heat and dryness were encouraging to would-be patients and young boys were eager to get through a rite of passage (circumcision ;p) before the new school year opens; so every free medical-surgical-dental clinic was a blockbuster!

Meanwhile, I had so many things going on too. Aside from helping organize a medical-surgical mission of Ang Lingkod ng Panginoon QC and He Cares Foundation, a job offer came, my discernment for career and state of life was in full swing, and I was asked to pray about stepping up in service in my Catholic charismatic community (each is a story on its own, so just wait for my upcoming entries!). The desire to slow down, collect my thoughts and gather them at the feet of my God became stronger than ever. It seems ironic, but I think when so many things are distracting us in our lives, it is also the best time to detach ourselves from daily existence and seek wisdom & peace from their ultimate source, God.

I consider myself blessed to have been offered the solace that I needed, thru a medical mission down south (my longest period away from home to date!). I was invited by Practice His care ministry (PHCM) to join their Mindanao sojourn, particularly in Zamboanga and Davao. I once again had the excited anticipation I felt whenever I go to the province to do mission work. I always feel that each trip is full of surprises – new friends to meet, new places to visit, new delicacies to taste, new dances to learn, new cultures to adapt in, and even new obstacles to hurdle. The prospect then of celebrating my birthday away from home was also something new. So, filled with excitement and with more than a week’s worth of clothing on my backpack, I was raring to go by the end of April.

I have been in Misamis oriental, particularly Gingoog city, early this year and I noticed that Mindanao had the richest foliage among the large islands of our archipelago. Traveling in different areas of Mindanao made me appreciate more the vastness of the land area. It was amazing and inspiring that I was traveling with a small team of doctors, nurses, dentists and a physical therapist. Just six of us! Local churches were there to welcome and extend help; nonetheless we were expected to be able to set-up and hold the mission by ourselves. Efficiency was at its optimum! I’d say it was God’s grace, at its finest, that saw us through! Each one of us was inspired to go beyond ourselves and serve our brethren, Muslims and Christians alike. More than internal inspiration, what kept me going was the example of front-line workers. I was greatly inspired with how some would even carry on a disguise or put their lives on the line, just to encourage the locals to have a personal relationship with Issa al-Massih. To be in a place not your own is difficult to begin with; moreso is immersing into the practices and prevailing culture. I had to double my effort in adjusting, since women were expected to be low-key and only await men to lead any interaction. After a while though, I have gotten used to speaking in Bisaya (in my distinct Luzon twang…so they say!) and eating Halal food (no pork, please!). In our daily prayers, we asked God for an extra portion of grace. It was physically taxing (read as: back-breaking) to be treating patients from 8am till 6pm, with only meal breaks and traveling to and from geographically distant locations as respites!

Going on my 2nd week away from home and having gone to at least four different areas in Mindanao, I had one of the most memorable birthday celebrations! I was contented as it is in being able to celebrate my natal day serving people, but it was a bonus for me to have met a 101-year old lady who was all too glad to have a picture with me taken. Jokingly, I told her that I want to reach her ripe old age someday and celebrate more birthdays! God’s generosity is boundless; a business woman treated us for dinner at her seaside resort. We had a long table full of seafood, soup, soda and great company! I did not feel a bit homesick. Earlier that day, we began by the team praying over me and lifting up my plans to God. I got greetings thru text from my friends in Luzon and Visayas too! Some of those friends (who were also in a medical mission in Batanes then) and my family (in Manila) also celebrated my birthday. God indeed is always true to His promise and it is only when one surrenders everything to Him that one can experience more than he or she ever imagined!

In those 14 days that I was in Mindanao, never was there a 24-hour period that no person thanked me for my efforts. But the truth is I was the one more blessed to have been there! I can’t help but be in awe of God’s hand in the circumstances that I became part of. There was unity amidst diversity. Collective efforts were put side by side with genuine concern for others, and mean feats were attained! Muslims and Christians thanked God together in fervent prayer. As swords and guns notoriously caused division, surgical needles, forceps, sphygmomanometers, thermometers and weighing scales became instruments of faith, hope and love! I witnessed testimonies of Jesus’ mission. As He said “I came so that you may have life, and live it abundantly!” I saw nameless men and women braving adversities and taking a stand, not only to address health concerns but to share the gospel message. Truly it was an honor for me to have served with people who strive to live out the call that is in the very name of their ministry: practice His care!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home