Thursday, May 19, 2005

Preparing for A Trip

I am fond of traveling; be it by foot, on different modes of transport, or even just by using my imagination (what the heck! aka “daydreaming”). I like to go on trips not only because I get to visit different places, but I am more excited about the eventualities that come with every journey. I find it very enriching to be able to meet people from different walks of life and interact with them in various situations. I look forward to every passage, way before it begins; and I relish it, way beyond its end or closure. ;p

I would say that the preparation for a trip is crucial. As I went to and from provinces a lot, for the past two years, I devised my way of packing systematically! It was a process in itself. The first few trips were really frustrating. It was quite a burden to be carrying extra articles of clothing, or unused blankets/socks/slippers, when I had to carry them all the way to some remote barrio (read: a few hours of hiking in the mountains & crossing chest-deep rivers). It is usually by the hard way, where we learn. And learn I did. And so, the trick was to carry an extra piece of everything only (shirt, undergarment, etc.) beyond the number of days away from home…Simple?? Not quite.

As a consequence of packing ala’darlethy, I am required to pack light. But, I had difficulty fighting attachments, vanity, insecurity, obsessive-compulsive behavior every time. I am always tempted . I am beckoned by the urge to bring things, which I learned from experience, are not “necessary” (fan, books, CD player, etc.). Trivial questions pop in my mind:

“What if a storm comes and we get stranded in the barrio for several more days?”
“What if something unexpected comes up?”
“How about my companions, will they bring a mirror??” ;p
(Well, I actually witnessed a companion bring a hair dryer!)

In these occasions, I let my imagination reign and think of horrible possibilities. I compare myself with others. I prioritize self-comfort. I seem to anchor my security or safety on things. Then, my motives become more and more complicated. Then, my intentions become less clear. Before I realize it, I begin to lose my focus. At least for a while, I know I forget the purpose of my trip in the first place.

I go to different places in the Philippines, both urban & rural, to serve my Filipino brethren; particularly the underserved.

My task stems from the fact that God gave me the privilege of becoming a licensed physician.

In the final analysis, preparation for this task is not a material or temporal pursuit. More importantly, I’ve realized that I must check the condition of my heart before I leave for every trip. I should purify my motives and intentions, before I embark on this work. I should bear in mind that my security does not depend on the external gadgets I will bring. I could only prepare as much. Whatever circumstance I will face with every trip, I must be anchored on my Sure foundation. This alone would determine the outcome of my journey.

Preparing for a trip is more of an internal quest rather than external. To free oneself of internal clutter (frustrations, interests, issues) is the necessity, more than putting personal effects in a back pack.




1 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Blogger Daisy said...

Hi Darleth-y,

God bless sis! truly inspiring are your stories. It is also about time that you have a somewhere to place all those inspiring thoughts you share with us.

True. Travel light, yan naman ang sabi ni Jesus, do not bring an extra tunic, hindi naman nya sinabi bring a hair dryer!

Been backpacking for about 10 years now at talagang inaaral pa kung paano maglagay ng gamit at anong gamit ang dapat dalhin. Bring only the essential...travel light. I think when we follow this advise, nag manifest ang provision ni God for us. Sya na ang mag dadala nun para sa atin.

Welcome to blogosphere sis!

love,
Day

 

Post a Comment

<< Home