Thursday, September 08, 2005

As "Iskolar ng Bayan"



The road less traveled is where I dared to go…
the path was not easy; after all, no one told me so.



August 26 – 31. Casiguran, Aurora. This was the itinerary of the UP Ugnayan ng Pahinungod Medical & Surgical Mission. I had mixed feelings when my med school classmate invited me to be part of the team. I was excited (to volunteer again for my alma mater!) and apprehensive (to go for several days with people I have yet to meet) at the same time. My excitement, won over apprehension and I decided to join. I was given the necessary orientation, antibiotic prophylaxis and forewarning about travel & accommodations. My expectations were meager, as I have acquired the habit of expecting less, so as not to be disappointed (re: mobile network signal, electricity, decent comfort rooms). The weather during our trip going to Casiguran was not cooperative either. News of an impending storm increased the possibility of challenges awaiting the team. True enough, the projected 12-hour trip, extended to about 15hours (after our bus bravely crossed three rivers)! The grueling trip was a blessing for me though, for it became an opportunity to build rapport with the other volunteers while being crammed and juggled inside the bus.
***
The entire mission was filled with obstacles to be hurdled. Even the scheduled rest& recreation became a daunting task. The promised haven by the sea, turned out to be an undeveloped sea-side area with no right of way so to speak (we had to weed out shrubs & trees for an hour just get there). The fact that there were no cottages or even umbrellas around, at noontime, made matters worse! We had fun just the same (thanks to our sense of adventure and camaraderie).
***
I have been involved in medical mission work for several years now (with several NGOs). I have traveled to different provinces in the Philippines as a volunteer, so that I initially expected this activity to be no different. But, I’ve realized that there is a distinct quality in Pahinungod volunteerism. The medical-surgical mission impressed on me a facet of serving people; that is to serve with a sense of nationalism. The UP Pahinungod team served the beneficiaries not only because they were underserved, not only because it was an adventure to get to their place, but because they were countrymen, fellow Filipinos…kababayans.
***
I felt a sense of pride to be serving with volunteers, who left their day jobs temporarily, literally brought their stuff (OR linen, Anesthesia machine, Autoclave, Slit lamp, medications), braved the storm, set aside personal preferences, just to give free services to the constituents of Aurora. These doctors, nurses, dentists, paramedics did not only go the extra mile; they went miles further! The volunteers went beyond the limit of physical fatigue. Medical consultations & elective procedures were conducted more than 12hrs a day, yet some doctors were still willing to even donate blood for anemic patients! Matatawag mo talaga ang mga volunteers na mga bagong bayani!

***
Kudos to Dr. Paul Guerrero! He was one of the volunteer ophthalmologists. This Isko decided to practice in the provinces and put up Sierra Madre Eye Center. But, practicing in Isabela & Aurora was a frustration-filled (according to him) experience. This doctor remains unfazed despite numerous encounters with bad bureaucracy. He can’t help himself by blurting out to the governor though, “Iniisip ko na nga baka mas maganda lumipat na lang sa Kalinga!”
***
Yet, these modern-day heroes are the same people who wish to go abroad (some from the team even went already & just came back!). I, myself, plan to apply for further training in Australia or US. Some of us volunteers are the same ones, who critics say, caused the brain drain or hemorrhage phenomenon. But, could you blame us??

Could you blame us for thinking about providing for our families, amidst economic crises and poor compensation? Could you blame us for feeling demoralized when after going extra miles, we just come face to face with traditional politicians who only care about publicity & photo shoots? Could you blame us if we are discouraged, when we see political alliances affecting the delivery of basic services (like health) in the provinces?? Could you blame us for being disillusioned, as we witness hunger, malnutrition, poverty happening side by side with profligacy, political dynasty and corruption??
***

As Iskolar ng Bayan, the UP Pahinungod volunteers are doing their part to give back what they owe to their country, by serving Filipinos in the best way that they can. The evolution of young idealism into intellectual cynicism and political disappointment is a complicated, multi-factorial phenomenon. I believe that it is a hasty generalization to claim that people from the allied medical professions are ungrateful, once they go abroad. I daresay, there is a story behind the story.


- maria daniela s. romana, md
94-02224

2 Comments:

At 12:35 PM, Blogger Binut/Keyt said...

I've always wanted to be a doctor and serve in medical missions. I'm not sure if that dream will still become a reality. I browsed through your blog and was inspired by it. I hope you won't mind me linking it to my blog.

Thanks and God bless!

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger Photography said...

wow. nice blog. thanks and God bless.

jeff,sj

 

Post a Comment

<< Home